Ready … Set … Breakfast is served!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RD
In a rush? No time to make breakfast? Kids aren’t hungry? Sound familiar? These are some of the most common reasons why kids (and parents!) don’t eat breakfast. But breakfast is too important for anyone to skip. It can boost your energy level for the whole day and give you a head start on getting the daily nutrients you need. And according to the National Weight Control Registry, people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Here are 10 quick-pick breakfast ideas that meet the healthy breakfast guidelines outlined in my book Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens. Got a stopwatch? Go ahead and set it, because you can prep each delicious breakfast in 10 minutes or less. If your family needs some breakfast-eating motivation, check out my post on how to get your family to eat breakfast every day. And for more tasty breakfast recipes, download my FREE app Eat Health Homemade Meals available on iTunes and Goggle Play.
10 Healthy Breakfast Under 10 Minutes
- Pour some whole-grain cereal and low-fat yogurt into a bowl or large mug and top with some raisins or almonds.
- Sandwich a few slices of banana between two halves of a toasted whole-wheat bagel. Serve with a glass of fat-free milk.
- Toast whole grain frozen waffles and top with some fresh berries and a dollop of low-fat yogurt.
- Make a quick breakfast parfait by layering low-fat yogurt with berries and some granola or whole grain cereal.
- Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla and fold in half. Mircrowave for twenty seconds. Top with salsa.
- Make a smoothie by whirling low-fat milk, frozen strawberries, a banana and some bran or wheat germ in a blender for three minutes, and pour into a glass or travel cup.
- Mix raisins or dried cranberries into unsweetened instant oatmeal (prepared with fat-free milk) and top with chopped walnuts.
- Stuff a whole-wheat pita with hard-cooked egg, low-fat shredded cheese, and sliced cucumber slices or red peppers.
- Spread peanut butter on a whole-wheat flour tortilla. Add a whole banana and roll it up.
- Toast a whole grain English muffin and tops with lean ham and low-fat Swiss cheese. Enjoy with vegetable juice.
The sooner you eat, the sooner you break that all-night fast. What are some of your family’s favorite quick and healthy breakfasts?