Roasted beets add natural sweetness to this refreshing spinach salad!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
This antioxidant-rich salad gets its naturally sweet flavor from roasted beets. Save time by baking them earlier in the day; all you have to do is peel, slice and dice. Go ahead and use feta cheese and toss in pecans or almonds. My Classic Spinach Salad is amazing, too. For more delicious salad recipes and tips check out my new app Time To Eat Healthy!
Beet-Walnut and Spinach Salad
Makes 4 Servings
Preparation Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 60 minutes
- 2 large unpeeled beets, trimmed
- 8 ounces baby spinach, washed and drained
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place beets on baking sheet; roast until fork tender, about 1 hour depending on size of beets. When cool, peel beets and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Place spinach, beets, and walnuts in large bowl; set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt (if using), and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Divide salad on to 4 plates and sprinkle each with goat cheese.
Nutritional Information per Serving (slice): 206 calories, 6 grams protein, 7 grams carbohydrate, 19 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 11.5 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 109 milligrams sodium