By: Jodie Shield, RD
Looking for an after school snack that’s healthy and tasty. Your kids will love this black bean dip. I highly recommend you let them help you prepare it. What child can resist “smashing” beans?! This recipe is in our new book Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens (Eat Right Press, 2012). For more healthy snack recipes pick up a copy at your local book store or order it on amazon. In addition to recipes, you will find all of the latest info on helping your son or daughter reach a healthy weight. If your child is already a healthy weight, the book will give you the tools you need to help them keep it that way.
Black Bean Dip
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 20 minutes
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Mash beans to a smooth consistency.
- Stir in other ingredients.
- Chill in the refrigerator. Serve with whole grain pita chips, whole wheat crackers, baked tortilla chips or jicama strips.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/4 cup): 68 calories, 4.5 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 2 milligrams cholesterol, 3.5 grams fiber, 13 milligrams sodium