Crockpot chili that’s tasty, easy to make, and healthy!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
You’re going to fall in love with this autumn-inspired crockpot chili and its star ingredient pumpkin. My slow- cooker Turkey Mole Chili is to die for, but this is my new fav. The original recipe came from Red Gold Tomatoes as part of their 2-A-Day Crockpot Give-a-way contest. They sent me some of their slow cooker recipes and products to try. So I fired up my crock-pot, and the results were amazing! Their tomatoes with diced green chilies really added some heat to this easy and healthy chili. Instead of turkey, I used deli-roasted chicken breast, and I sprinkled chipotle chili powder into the crockpot the last hour of cooking. To round out this Mexican meal, I recommend adding my homemade guacamole, tortilla chips, and a frozen margarita. All of these recipes are also on my FREE app Eat Healthy: Homemade Meals in Minutes available at iTunes and Google Play.
Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili
Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups cubed cooked chicken breast (about 1 whole chicken breast)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell or green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can solid-packed pumpkin
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- Salt, optional
- Black pepper, optional
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, pepper and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken mixture to slow cooker. Add black beans, pumpkin, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper if using; stir to combine. Cook covered on low for 4 to 5 hours. Garish option: Top with cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onion.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 cup): 185 calories, 18 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 19 milligrams cholesterol, 7 grams fiber, 506 milligrams sodium