This spicy and healthy meatloaf is raging with New Orleans- inspired flavor!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
Comfort foods are good for the soul and this savory meatloaf is good for you, too. Just be sure to use lean ground sirloin and ground turkey breast – ground turkey may contain skin, which doubles the fat and calories. You’ll find creole seasoning in the spice section of your supermarket. Go ahead and add an extra pinch of it, especially if you omit the salt. I recommend baking the meatloaf in two loaf pans, that way you can freeze one for later. Serve this dish with a side of mock mashed potatoes and roasted green beans. Be sure to try my Mexican Meatloaf, which is also on my app Time to Eat Healthy.
Prep time = 20 minutes
Cook time: =60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds ground sirloin beef (extra lean)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions, celery, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in Creole seasoning, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Cool to room temperature.
- Mix ground beef, turkey, reserved vegetable mixture, egg whites, breadcrumbs, ketchup and salt (if using) in large bowl until well combined. Shape into two meatloaves and place mixture into two 12–by-6-inch loaf pans.
- Bake 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400ºF. Bake until nicely browned, about 30 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes before removing and slicing into thick slices.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 256 calories, 30 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 82 milligram cholesterol, 1 grams fiber, 766 milligrams sodium