By: Jodie Shield, R.D.
While many of us enjoy ordering and eating seafood at restaurants, we shy away from cooking fish at home. Here is an easy, healthy and tasty seafood recipe that your entire family will enjoy. I think after eating it, everyone will be hooked! Do you have a healthy family recipe for oven fried fish? Please share!
(Makes 4 servings)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound cod fillets
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9 x13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, then coat with canola oil.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and black pepper in a paper bag. Shake well to mix; set aside.
- Rinse cod, lightly sprinkle salt on both sides of fillets (if using). Cut fillets into long strips.
- In small bowl, combine egg whites and milk, whisk with fork until well blended. Dip fish into egg-and-milk mixture. Place fish strips into paper bag, a few at a time. Hold bag closed and shake well. Place coated fish sticks on baking dish. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Fish Switch: You can use catfish or flounder in place of the cod.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1/4 pound): 197 Calories, 23 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrate, 5.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 47 milligrams cholesterol, 1 gram fiber, 178 milligrams sodium