DIY Halloween candy with a heart-healthy twist!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
Need a hauntingly good-for-you Halloween treat? This festive homemade pistachio bark is loaded with heart-healthy dark chocolate and 100% orange juice. Don’t be scared to make this treat; it’s super easy even if you don’t have a double boiler you can make one (check out this video). The original recipe came from the Florida Department of Citrus, but I cut way back on the candied orange peel and pistachios. And to speed things up, I placed the bark in the refrigerator to chill. It’s to die for! Be sure to try some of my other Halloween treats like Orange Sorbet Jack-O-Lanterns and Homemade Popcorn Balls – they’re on my new app Time to Eat Healthy.
Chocolate Orange Pistachio Bark
Prep Time: 2 hours of chillin’
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup 100% orange juice like Tropicana fortified with calcium and vitamin D
- 16 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ½ cup candied orange peel
- Place orange juice in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cool in refrigerator for about ½ hour.
- Melt chocolate chips over double boiler, stirring constantly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour melted chocolate onto parchment paper to ¼-inch thickness; swirl in cooled orange juice reduction with a spatula, creating thin channels in chocolate.
- Sprinkle pistachios and orange peel over chocolate; gently press into chocolate.
- Cool bark completely until chocolate hardens in refrigerator about 1 1/2 hours); break into pieces.
Nutritional Information per serving (about 2 ounces):
190 calories, 3 grams protein, 26 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 0 milligram cholesterol, 3 gram fiber, 34 milligrams sodium