By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
Not sure what to do with all of those left over Easter eggs? You’ll have everyone hoppin’ to the table with this tasty sandwich. It’s a classic egg salad recipe adapted from the Joy of Cooking. I’ve gone ahead and lightened it up a bit. Spread it on toasted whole grain bread and add a leaf of romaine lettuce for extra crunch. What’s your favorite egg salad recipe? Do tell.
Classic Egg Salad
(Makes 4 servings)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mayonnaise (made with olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of Curry powder (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-size bowl:
- Refrigerate all of the the egg salad ingredients until cold. Serve the egg salad on toasted whole grain bread with romaine lettuce.
Nutrition Information (without bread and romaine lettuce): 219 calories, 10 grams protein, 1 gram carbohydrate, 19 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 285 milligrams cholesterol, 0 grams fiber, 171 milligrams sodium