The ultimate quick and healthy homemade breakfast!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
The Turks and Caicos is one of my favorite vacation spots. Here’s why: white sandy beaches, turquoise colored water, and . . . French toast. That’s right, French toast. Every morning our resort served the most delicious homemade French toast. I begged them for their recipe and here it is. The key is to use a shallow dish and soak the bread in the egg mixture until most of it is absorbed. I like to use whole-wheat cinnamon raisin bread. Pepperidge Farms makes one that is only 80 calories per slice (I don’t work for them!). Simply drizzle on some pure maple syrup and fresh berries, and breakfast is served! For more healthy breakfast recipes like Lean Eggs and Ham Casserole, No-Mess Bacon, and Revved-Up Oatmeal check out my iTunes app Time to Eat Healthy!
Everyday French Toast
Prep Time = 15 minutes
Cooking Time = 8 minutes
- 6 slices whole-wheat cinnamon raisin bread
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place each slice of bread in 8 x 11-inch shallow dish in single layer.
- In large mixing cup combine eggs, milk, and cinnamon. Lightly beat.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread. Let egg mixture absorb into bread. You will need to flip the bread occasionally. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Heat skillet over medium heat; add oil until sizzling. Add French toast to skillet and cook about 4 minutes per side. Serve with 100% pure maple syrup and fresh berries.
Nutritional Information per (1 slice) Serving (without toppings):172 calories, 10 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 124 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 253 milligrams sodium