Beat the summer heat and enjoy an Italian grilled cheese!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food. During the hot, sticky summer months I like to lighten it up by using fresh mozzarella, juicy ripe tomatoes, and hand-picked basil from my garden. Thick whole grain bread adds fiber and a chewy texture. Trader Joes has an all-natural fresh mozzarella that comes pre-sliced in 1-ounce servings. It’s super convenient, inexpensive, and easy to store in the fridge. I always keep some on hand to make Caprese Lasagna Roll-Ups or to top perfectly cooked pasta. My Italian grilled cheese is a breeze to make and the perfect light summer meal. For more refreshing no-cook recipes, check out my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals in Minutes which you can download from iTunes or Google Play.
Fresh Mozzarella-Tomato-Basil Grilled Cheese
Prep Time = 5 minutes
Cooking Time = 10 minutes
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 2 thin slices tomato
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush olive oil over whole wheat bread.
- Top one slice of bread with cheese, basil, and tomato; add other slice of bread.
- Cook sandwich about 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 385 calories, 22 grams protein, 41 grams carbohydrate, 17.5 grams fat, 6.5 grams saturated fat, 20 milligrams cholesterol, 6 grams fiber, 705 milligrams sodium