Fire up your grill and enjoy a homemade pizza in minutes!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
Who needs a wood-fired oven? If you have an outdoor grill, a homemade pizza with a thin, crispy-crust is only minutes away. The Chicago Tribune ran a grilled pizza recipe with caramelized onions that’s to die for. But I wanted to experiment using other toppings, and the results were delicious. I like to slather sauce on my pizza, along with fresh veggies and lots of shredded cheese. For this recipe, I added Italian sausage, but leave it off if you want. While you can make your own crust, for convenience I recommend Trader Joes fresh pizza dough. Another tip, Williams-Sonoma sells a 12-inch round, stainless steel pizza pan made especially for the grill. It absorbs and transfers heat so you’re guaranteed a golden crust and perfectly cooked toppings. The perforated design brings the crust in contact with the flame to impart a smokey, wood-fired flavor. Plus, the pan has handles for easy flipping and serving. Bottom line: This grilled pizza recipe is so easy, use it as a base and add whatever toppings you want. For more tasty grilling recipes like Tropical Flank Steak, Blackened Fish, and Pineapple Chicken Skewers check out my iTunes app Time To Eat Healthy.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
½ pound Italian sausage (about 3 links), casings removed divided use (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup fresh veggies, diced (peppers, onion, mushrooms – whatever you like)
1-pound pizza dough
flour for rolling pizza dough
olive oil cooking spray
½ cup pizza sauce
2 cups Manchego cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; brown, breaking up meat with a spatula as it cooks, 6-7 minutes. Drain sausage on paper towels; set aside in small bowl.
- In same skillet, heat olive oil until sizzling. Add chopped veggies; stir-fry 6-7 minutes until crisp-tender. Remove from pan; set aside in small bowl.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to thin 12-inch round. Coat both side with olive oil cooking spray. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Arrange topping ingredients next to grill. Transfer pizza dough to grate; grill until dough begins to puff and light grill makes appear on bottom, 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Flip over pizza; move to coolest par to grill. Add pizza sauce, ½ the cheese; top with sausage, vegetables, basil, then add remaining cheese. Move pizza back to center of grill and close cover; grill, 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp and lightly charred, 2-3 minutes. Remove from grill; cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 slice): 393 calories, 13 grams protein, 28 grams carbohydrate, 18 grams fat, 9 grams saturated fat, 27 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams fiber, 910 milligrams sodium