If you want to score extra points for “healthy” at your Super Bowl party, then serve these delicious honey-garlic baked chicken wings!
Guest Post By: Evelyn Carissa, Dominican University Nutrition and Dietetics Student
Hey sports fans! If you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer that’s healthy and tasty, check out my finger licking, honey-garlic baked chicken wing recipe. Unlike greasy, fried chicken wings, I bake them in the oven until they’re crispy and glazed to a garlicky-sweet perfection.
The original recipe came from The Endless Meal and it’s awesome. But I tweaked the ingredients so my baked honey-garlic chicken wings have fewer calories, less sodium, and more heart-healthy fat. Plus, I use pure honey to replace the highly processed sugars found in many prepackaged sauces. Packed with protein, my honey-garlic baked chicken wings are the perfect Super Bowl snack.
Looking for more sports-themed appetizers that taste great but are less fatting? I recommend Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Sloppy-O-Joes , and my favorite football cheese tray. You’ll find these recipes and many more on the FREE Eat Healthy Homemade Meals app. Download it now from the Apple Store or Google Play.
Honey-Garlic Baked Chicken Wings
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cook Time = 50 minutes
- Olive oil non-stick spray
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 ½ tablespoons pure honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 cup water
- Cilantro and roasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with foil and place a wire rack on the foil. Coat the rack with an olive oil non-stick spray.
- Rinse the wings under cold water, drain, and pat the wings dry with a paper towel.
- Placed the wings in a food storage bag and add the baking powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Shake the bag to evenly coat the wings with the baking powder.
- Remove any excess baking powder. Arrange the wings on the prepared baking tray and bake for 25 minutes. Then, turn the wings over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- While the chicken wings are baking, make the sauce by adding the low-sodium soy sauce, honey, vinegar, minced ginger, minced garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, ground coriander, and water to a small pan. Cook the sauce over medium-high heat until it boils, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and brush them all over with the sauce. Return the wings to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Take the wings out of the oven and brush them one more time with the sauce. Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 pieces): 300 calories, 15 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 120 milligrams cholesterol, 422 milligrams sodium, 14 grams carbohydrate, 0 gram fiber, 12 grams sugar, 21 grams protein