Love those leftover! Food Safety App Review.
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
How long does lunchmeat last in the fridge? What temperature should you cook pork tenderloin? Does ketchup ever go bad? If you’re not sure how to answer these questions, have I got an app for you! Is My Food Safe? is my new go-to app for kitchen food safety questions. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and ConAgra Foods collaboratively developed this ad-free app as part of their Home Food Safety program. The goal of this program is to help raise consumer awareness about the seriousness of food poising and to provide solutions for easily and safely handling food in their kitchens. Every year one out of six Americans suffers from food poisoning. Certain groups of people are more vulnerable to food poisoning and have a higher risk of developing long-term problems, even death. Those at greatest food poisoning risk include: infants, young children, pregnant women (and their unborn child), older adults and people with weakened immune systems. This app will help prevent you and your loved ones from becoming part of this preventable statistic.
Review for Is My Food Safe?
Platform and Price:
Free; available for Android and Apple mobile devices
★★★★★ (5 out of 5)
Synopsis of the App:
Is My Food Safe? is the perfect kitchen companion for reducing your risk of food poisoning. This ad-free app offers four key features:
- Is It Done Yet? Check the safe internal cooking temperatures for meats, chicken, fish and more.
- Time To Toss? Learn key information on how long you can keep leftovers.
- Quiz: Is My Kitchen Safe? Test your knowledge of kitchen safety and see what grade your kitchen receives.
- Ask an Expert. Find out more about food safety from registered dietitians – the food and nutrition experts.
- Easy to download and navigate. Great for teaching kids about food safety.
- Provides safe cooking temperatures for eleven major categories of food: eggs and egg dishes; fresh beef, veal, pork and lamb; game birds; ground meat and meat mixtures; large game animals; leftovers and casseroles; pork; poultry; sauces, soups, gravies, and marinades; seafood; stuffing.
- Offers food storage guidelines for hundreds of fresh, frozen, processed, and leftover food items ranging from baby food to vegetables.
- Features a quick kitchen safety quiz that includes eight questions along with detailed answers.
- Shares additional practical information such as: What Is Food Poisoning? About Home Food Safety, Ask An Expert, More Safety Tips, and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Links all content to the Home Food Safety website.
- Not able to enter a search for a specific food item.
- Quiz could be longer according to some reviewer comments.
Home food poisoning is too common and a very serious problem for the young, elderly and immune-suppressed. The good news is that with some basic food safety information, food poisoning can be prevented. I highly recommend Is My Food Safe? to anybody who is learning how to cook, spends a lot of time preparing home cooked meals, or eats a lot of leftovers.