A popular party and picnic salad gets a “healthy” makeover.
By: Jodie Shield, MEd, RDN
Wait until you try my lightened up version of the Pioneer Woman’s Layered Salad. It’s so easy. You simply layer all of the colorful ingredients in a deep, clear bowl and chill until you’re ready to serve. I used reduced-fat mayo and sour cream to trim half the calories from the dressing. Plus, cutting back on the original amount of bacon and eggs helps slash even more calories. To boost nutrients, I added spinach and arugula but feel free to add romaine, kale or whatever green leafy you love. To save time, I recommend using prepackaged salad bags, but go ahead and use fresh if you prefer. Not into bacon? Toss in diced turkey or ham instead.
Go ahead and celebrate salad season “guilt-free” as you nibble away on this refreshing salad! Be sure to try my Classic Spinach Salad and Spring Greens Citrus Salads with Pecans – both are light, tasty, and a snap to make. You can download these recipes on my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals in Minutes available on iTunes and Goggle Play.
Lightened Up 7 Layer Salad
Prep Time = 30 minutes
Cook Time = 0 minutes
- 6-ounces iceberg lettuce
- 6-ounce bag spinach and arugula mix
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 8 green onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-ounce) bag frozen peas, partially thawed
- ½ cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- In a large and deep glass bowl, layer in the following the iceberg lettuce, spinach and arugula salad, hard boiled eggs, bacon, tomatoes, green onions, cheddar cheese, and peas.
- In separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, and dill weed; mix well. Pour and spread evenly over top of peas.
- Cover salad and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Toss before serving.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 generous cup): 243 calories, 13 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 18 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 129 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams fiber, 381 milligrams sodium