By: Jodie Shield, RDN
One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to eat more seafood and to use more fresh ingredients. Here is a recipe for Linguine with White Clam Sauce that incorporates both. My mom gave me this recipe years ago when I was dating my husband. It is so amazingly light and delicious, my husband claims it sealed our marriage deal! I highly recommend that you use freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated lemon rind – the flavor is so much better. I know you’ll fall in love with my Linguine and White Clam Sauce recipe – my husband sure did! And you’ll also find it and many more recipes on my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals. Download it not at iTunes or Goggle Play.
Makes 4 servings
2 cans (10 oz) fancy whole baby clams, premium quality
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
3 garlic cloves, mined
1/3 cup good olive oil (I love Olio Santo extra virgin olive oil, first cold press)
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
8 oz (half-package) linguine ( I use whole grain)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Drain the juice from the clams and set a side.
- Start boiling a large pot of water for the linguine. Be sure to toss in a pinch of salt as this will help prevent the noodles from sticking. When the water is boiling, cook the linguine as indicated on the package.
- Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender, but not brown – about 5 minutes. Not sure how to sauté? Check out this You Tube video from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Add the clam juice, oregano, and pepper to the sautéed onions and garlic. Bring everything to a boil over high heat. Cook until the sauce is reduced to about 2 cups – this takes about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat under the clam juice mixture; add the clams, parsley, lemon rind and lemon juice. Heat thoroughly.
- Toss the white clam sauce with the hot linguine and serve.
Nutrition Information per serving:
460 calories, 13.5 grams protein, 46.5 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 25 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 28 milligrams cholesterol, 465 milligrams sodium