A family-friendly app developed my Mobile Skillet.
Guest Post By: Nikki Nies, Dietetic Intern Benedictine University
Meal Makeovers: Family Favorites Made Healthy
Price and Platform
$1.99; iPhone and iPad
★★★★★ (5 out of 5)
Meal Makeovers has a great mix of classic favorites, while also including some original recipes. They have provided healthy recipes that are low in fat, sodium, and calories, Meal Makeover’s recipes have their users’ health in mind. Consistently, Meal Makeovers has found a way to provide recipes where taste is not compromised for healthier options.
- Easy to adjust recipe servings
- “Favorites” section–easy access to regularly used recipes; ability to immediately add ingredients needed for purchase to a shopping list
- “Cross off” steps on instructions once completed
- Includes videos that accompany recipe instructions
- “Share” option includes the ability for one to also print and email
- Can print and email shopping list
- Provide table of measurement
- Thorough advanced search engine
- Each recipe provides tips for tweaking to individual needs and preferences
- Links to latest “Cooking with Moms” radio podcast episodes
- No suggestions of substitutions if applicable
- Not all recipes contain videos—I know that is extra work, but it’s not consistently offered in all recipes—perhaps a separate section on “how-to” videos for basic techniques that can be used for multiple recipes
- All resources not available on homepage
Meal Makeovers has done a tremendous job, keeping the app user-friendly with the right amount of necessary tools to get a successful meal on the table. It’s evident Meal Makeovers values the users’ time, providing resources to make cooking even easier. A lot of the cons were technical preferences, yet the suggestions could enhance the already well thought out and very applicable app for cooking.