Whole Wheat Waffles
Makes 10 waffles (4×4-inch squares)
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt to taste (optional)
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 cups low-fat butter milk (you can use low-fat or skim milk too)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat your waffle iron while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar and salt if using. Stir until everything is mixed together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: egg whites, milk and melted butter or oil.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. The batter will look lumpy but that is fine. Over mixing will result in flat, chewy waffles.
- Since all waffle irons cook differently, cook the waffles according to the directions that came with your waffle iron.
Nutrition Information per waffle: 300 calories, 8.5 grams protein, 38.5 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 1.5 milligrams cholesterol, 5 grams dietary fiber, 281 milligrams sodium