Recipe By Healthy Eating For Families
Celebrate National Chicken Month – White or Dark Meat, You Decide!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
My family loves chicken,
but alas, our house is divided. Should you eat white meat or dark meat
? My older son J.J. and I enjoy white meat (breasts). My husband and daughter, Jenny, prefer the dark side (legs and thighs). Michael, the youngest, remains undecided - cluck! When I discovered September was National Chicken Month, I knew it was time for a peace offering. My next two blog posts will feature two of my family's favorite chicken recipes: this week white meat, next week dark meat. First on the menu, Grilled Pineapple Chicken
. Super easy if you buy chicken breast tenders, thread them on skewers, and toss them on the grill. If you don’t have time to make the pineapple sauce, marinate them in your favorite brand of teriyaki sauce. I like to serve Grilled Pineapple Chicken
over hot stir-fry rice
and for dessert, a DIY fortune cookie
. Ah-so easy! For more tasty chicken recipes download my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals in Minutes available on iTunes
and Goggle Play
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Skewers
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marinade time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 16 bamboo skewers
Nutrition Information per 2 chicken tender sticks:
- In small saucepan over medium heat, mix pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Remove from heat just before mixture comes to a boil, about 3 minutes.
- Place chicken tenders in a clear, zip top bag. Cover with pineapple marinade, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. This prevents them from burning.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread chicken tenders lengthwise onto bamboo skewers. Discard marinade.
- Grill chicken tender 5 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. They cook quickly so watch them closely.
129 calories, 23 grams protein, 2 grams carbohydrate, 2.5 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 63 milligrams cholesterol, 0 grams dietary fiber, 97 milligrams sodium