Go Irish Soda Bread
Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 35 minutes
- 2 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into half-inch pieces
- ½ cup dried currants
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400°F. Dust bottom of 8-inch round cake pan with flour.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda into large bowl. Add butter; stir to coat with flour mixture. Use pastry blender or two knives to cut butter into flour mixture until it is crumbly with some pea-size pieces of butter. Stir in currants.
- Add buttermilk to make moist, soft dough. Knead in bowl a few times to be sure all bits are off bottom and dough comes together (dough will not be smooth). Shape into ball; transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until top is deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 35 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information per Slice: 180 calories, 5 grams protein, 30 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 10 milligrams cholesterol, 4 grams fiber, 223 milligrams sodium