Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 large egg yolks
- 4 cups 2% milk, divided use
- 1 cup sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups brandy, Cognac, rum or bourbon (optional)
- Mix nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice together; set aside until ready to serve.
- In large saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, 2 cups of milk, and sugar. Place over low heat and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes making sure the temperature reaches 160°F. Remove from heat, stir in remaining 2 cups of milk and let cool in refrigerator until chilled.
- Strain chilled eggnog using fine-mesh sieve; pour into serving pitcher or small punch bowl. Stir in alcohol if using.
- Serve eggnog in cups or glasses, topped with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle of spice mixture.
Nutrition Information per 1/2 cup Serving (without alcohol or whipped cream):
241 calories, 8 grams protein, 32 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 287 milligrams cholesterol, 0 grams fiber, 70 milligrams sodium