Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels
Prep Time = 45 minutes
Cook Time = 10 minutes
1½ cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups whole-wheat white flour plus extra to sprinkle on the counter
2 large egg whites
coarse salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a jellyroll pan or cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast packet in warm water. Stir for about one minute until well mixed. Add salt and sugar and stir until combined. Slowly add whole-wheat white flour, about a cup at a time. Using a wooden spoon, mix dough until it’s thick. Be sure to add enough flour until dough is no longer sticky. When you can poke dough with your finger and it bounces back, it’s ready for kneading.
- Place dough onto floured counter. Knead dough for about 5 minutes and then shape it into ball. Use a sharp knife to cut dough into about 10 equal-size sections.
- Roll dough into about a 20-inch rope. Once you have your rope, take ends and bring them together so it forms a circle. Twist ends, then bring them towards front and press them down into a pretzel shape.
- In medium-size bowl, beat egg whites with fork. Dunk both sides of pretzel into egg white wash. Place pretzel on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt if you’re using it.
- Bake for about 5 minutes. Turn oven to broil and bake about 5 minutes more or until tops are nice and brown. Keep an eye on pretzels so they don’t burn.
- Remove them from oven and cool before serving.
Nutrition Information (1 pretzel without salt): 203 calories, 7.5 grams protein, 40 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 6.5 grams dietary fiber, 245 milligrams sodium