Gingerbread Hemp Seed Muffins
Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 20-25 minutes
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 flax egg=1 tablespoon ground flax seeds+3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup or 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
For the dry ingredients:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 + 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup ground hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with large paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flax seeds and water, which will become the “egg”. Set aside for few minutes to thicken.
- In large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, salt and hemp seeds).
- In same bowl as flax egg, whisk together wet ingredients (flax egg, pumpkin purée, oil, agave/maple syrup, brown sugar, and molasses) until smooth.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. No patches of flour should remain. Be sure not to over-mix batter. The batter will be quite thick.
- Divide batter equally between the 12 muffin liners. They should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in pan for 5 to 10 minutes, and then transfer each muffin onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 muffin): Calories 213; 31 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fat, 5.5 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 18 grams sugar, 249 milligrams sodium