Cutout Sugar Cookies
Prep time = 15 minutes
Rolling and cutting time = as long as you want!
Cooking time = 9-12 minutes Ingredients:
- Parchment paper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (no need to sift!)
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sanding sugar (optional)
- Frosting (optional – see recipe below))
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
- Cream the cold butter cubes and sugar (with a mixer using the paddle attachment) just until smooth and combined, no more than 2 minutes. Mix in the eggs until incorporated, about 1 minute. You will need to scrape down the sides with a spatula periodically.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on medium-low speed for about 3 to 5 minutes or until dough gathers itself into a ball and pulls always cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Then add the vanilla. (Note: The batter will look dry and sandy at first.) Be careful not to over-mix or your dough will be tough and your cookies will spread and lose their decorative shape.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, to a ¼-inch thickness. No need to use flour as the parchment paper will keep the dough from sticking. Use cookie cutters to make festive shapes. Carefully remove the excess dough from around the cookies (like making paper dolls) and transfer the cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheets. Space the cookies about an inch apart (No worries because they will not spread!). Sprinkle on sanding sugar now if using. Go ahead and reroll the extra dough to make more cookies.
- For a 2 ½-inch cookie, bake on the middle oven rack one sheet at a time for 9 to 12 minutes. Depending on the thickness, cookie times will vary so turn on the oven light and watch carefully– the thinner the cookie, the less cooking time.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Decorate them with your favorite frosting.*
Nutrient Information per Serving (2 ½-inch cookie without sanding sugar or frosting): 158 calories, 2 grams protein, 22 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 29 milligrams cholesterol, 0 grams fiber, 54 milligrams sodium, 7 grams sugar
* Frosting Recipe: Mix ½ pound of powdered sugar, ¼ cup unsalted butter (softened), ½ tablespoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of milk in a mixer until creamy and easy to spread. Separate the frosting into small bowls; add a few drops of different food coloring into each bowl. Let the decorating begin!