Low-Sodium Chicken & Vegetable Barley Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Ingredients:
- 4-32 ounce packages of low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 small red potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds of shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 small baby bok choy, chopped (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons basil
- 2 ¼ teaspoon parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoon marjoram
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups uncooked barley
- Add broth to Dutch oven and begin to heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped vegetables to broth and continue to heat.
- Add shredded cooked chicken breast to broth and vegetables. I like to use leftover chicken breast or rotisserie chicken breast (with skin removed), and shred using a fork.
- Add seasonings (basil, parsley, marjoram, cilantro, black pepper, and bay leaves) and stir the mixture.
- Add barley to the mixture and mix with spoon. Allow broth to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve hot & enjoy!
Nutrient Information per (2-cup serving): 460 calories, 43g protein, 61g carbohydrates, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 280mg sodium, 70mg cholesterol, 10g fiber, 5g sugars
When preparing this recipe, you should opt for low-sodium or sodium-free broth to lower the overall sodium content. The longer the soup simmers, the more the flavors from the seasonings will develop, giving your soup a rich taste without the need for added salt. Serve this recipe with a side of fiber-rich fresh herb sprouted focaccia. For more low-sodium, DASH diet-inspired recipes, such as this delicious turkey tortilla soup, download the free app, Eat Healthy Homemade Meals, from the Apple Store and Google Play.
Photo credit: Alyse Schultz