By: Jodie Shield, RD
When the weather gets too hot to handle, I rely on this tasty tuna taco. Make sure you use tuna packed in water as it will cut calories significantly. Save prep time by purchasing shredded lettuce and chopped bell peppers and onion. You can usually find them in your produce section. Not in the mood for tuna? Swap canned salmon. What is your favorite cook-less taco?
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 to 6 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 12-ounce can tuna, packed in water
- 2 cups shredded ice berg lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- taco sauce or fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Place two heaping tablespoons of tuna down the middle of each tortilla. Add each of the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Fold the tortilla in half, and serve with the taco sauce and sour cream.
- Variations: Substitute low-fat refried beans for tuna, and toss in a few sliced black olives.
Nutrition Information: 230 calories, 22.5 grams protein, 18.5 grams carbohydrate, 6.5 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 30.5 milligrams cholesterol, 470 milligrams sodium, 2 grams fiber