Get your 4th of July party started with this healthy, patriotic treat!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
Not sure what to serve at your 4th of July picnic or barbecue? Treat your friends and family to red, white and blueberry bites stuffed with delicious Greek vanilla yogurt. My recipe is super healthy and easy to make – no cooking required. Start with fresh, juicy strawberries and hollow out the middle. Not sure how to do this? Check out my twenty-year-old son, Michael, hulling strawberries with a straw – it’s that easy.
Also, Greek yogurt is a must for filling the strawberries (nonfat or full fat – you decide). Since Greek yogurt is much thicker than regular yogurt, it will hold its shape rather than ooze out of the strawberries. Simply plop a blueberry on top and serve as an appetizer or dessert. Either way, your guests will get a bang out of this patriotic treat. Be sure to try my Stars and Stripes Cake, too. All of these recipes are also on my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals in Minutes which you can download from iTunes or Google Play.
Red, White, and Blueberry Bites
Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 0 minutes
- 24 large fresh strawberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt
- 24 fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- Cut a slit on the bottom of each strawberry so it will stand up evenly.
- Hull each strawberry using a straw; toss the top leaves.
- Fill each strawberry with a teaspoon of Greek yogurt; top with a blueberry.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information per Serving (2 strawberries): 27 calories, 2 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 9 mg sodium