Transform traditional Sloppy Joes into something healthy!
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
One of my all-time favorite comfort foods is Sloppy Joes. But the thought of pouring a can of salty, prepackaged sauce into ground beef just doesn’t feel well, homemade or healthy. Working with Tropicana, I love how this easy dinner recipe features the sweet and tangy flavors of nutrient-rich orange juice. Instead of ground beef, use ground turkey breast; for added fiber and flavor toss in diced sweet potato. I usually bake the sweet potato the day before, so when I’m craving a comfort food like Sloppy Joes, all I have to do is toss this easy healthy meal together. This recipe originally came from Florida Citrus and features a burst of o.j. flavor that the child in every one will love! Visit Tropicana for more information about the health benefits of orange juice. Also, be sure to try some of my other lighted up comfort foods like Lemon Chicken, Two-Way Tetrazzini, and Mexican Meatloaf. I just added them to my new app Time To Eat Healthy!
Prep Time = 10 minutes
Cooking Time = 20 minutes
9 ounces ground turkey breast
½ large onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, small minced
1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
1 cup orange juice
1 cup tomato juice
1 large sweet potato, baked and diced
4 whole-grain dinner rolls
- Sauté ground turkey breast in medium sauté pan over medium heat until cooked thoroughly, about 5 minutes. Remove turkey; reserve.
- Sauté onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add red pepper ground cumin and coriander; sauté 1 minute, then add the orange juice. Cook until orange juice is reduced by two-thirds about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato juice and reserved cooked turkey; cook until tomato juice has reduced by two-thirds, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and stir until combined.
- Split dinner rolls in half; spoon turkey mixture in center. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 sandwich):
323 calories, 21 grams protein, 58 grams carbohydrate, 6.5 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 45 milligrams cholesterol, 7 grams fiber, 331 milligrams sodium, vitamin C????, calcium