Let them eat veggies!
By: Jodie Shield, RD
Looking for a quick and healthy meal that tastes fabulous? Your search is over. My Spring Vegetable Frittata is super easy to make. Plus, it’s loaded with fresh asparagus, tomatoes and onions. Besides using quality ingredients, the key to making this recipe is your skillet. Make sure you use a really good nonstick pan so your frittata cooks evenly and slides out easily. I use All-Clad (no they don’t sponsor me!) but other stainless steel or cast iron skillets would work, too. Watching your cholesterol? Go ahead and use egg substitute or instead of 6 eggs use 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. My family loves eating a light dinner like a frittata or quiche on a warm spring or summer evening. Last time I made Spring Vegetable Frittata, my teenage son informed me, “Guys don’t eat frittatas they eat skillets!” Needless to say, he cleaned his plate! Your family is going to love it too. What are you going to call it – frittata or skillet?
Spring Skillet Frittata
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 small red potatoes (12 ounces), each cut into 8 pieces ( I used new potatoes )
- 2 cups asparagus, cut-up into bite-size pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add potatoes, cover and cook about 10 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus, tomatoes, onions and garlic; cook 4-5 minutes or until the asparagus is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the milk, salt and pepper if using, and beat well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and basil. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover and cook about 12 minutes or until the eggs are set. To serve, cut into wedges.
Nutrition Information (without salt): 327 calories, 17 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrate, 18 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 296 milligrams cholesterol, 3.5 grams dietary fiber, 341 milligrams sodium