Healthy Tips and Tricks for Game-Day Celebrations
As a registered dietitian, I know it can be a struggle to celebrate on game day while trying not to overindulge. But snacking doesn’t have to bust your waistline; check out my winning tips to keep fans cheering for more:
- Know your game plan. If you’re the home team (i.e. the party host), you get to call the plays. Serve entrees that are lean and festive, such as Touchdown Turkey Chili. Or prepare a thin whole wheat crust pizza using reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce and lots of sliced veggies.
- Offer a starting line-up of healthier appetizers. Whip some traditional game day favorites into shape. Instead of nachos, serve baked chips with salsa. Pass on the salt and butter and sprinkle a dash of parmesan cheese over popcorn. Forget the fried chicken wings and serve baked chicken tenders seasoned with Hidden Valley Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix.
- Think fresh. Skip the super subs and set up a sandwich bar with lean deli meats such as turkey breast and ham, low-fat cheese slices and prepped veggies – like sliced tomato and shredded lettuce – and low-fat toppings.
- Pass on super big portions. No matter what foods are served, remember you don’t have to eat the whole thing. Grab a small plate and load half of it up with fresh veggies or baked chips.
- Get in on the action. During halftime, grab your guests and head outdoors for a quick game of touch football. You can always record the commercials so you don’t miss out.
The best way to tackle those creamy, high-calorie dips is to make smart substitutions. Here are a few options to help you get started:
Instead of: Use:
Pesto Chopped tomatoes and basil
Sour cream Plain fat-free yogurt
Cheese Reduced-fat cheese
Cream Fat-free evaporated milk
Check out one of my favorite game-day recipes you might consider adding to your playbook.
7 Layer Fiesta Ranch Dip
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10 (1/4 cup) servings
1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
1/2 cup guacamole
1 package Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dips Mix
1 cup fat-free sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
6 green onions, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Spread each of the ingredients in the order listed over a 9-inch serving platter or pie dish.
- Chill for an hour and serve.
For more recipes and tips, visit www.hiddenvalley.com