Time to get “crock” ing and enjoy a warm bowl of chili!
By: Jodie Shield, RD
Brrrrrr! It’s cold or should I say chili? Time to fire up your crock pot and cozy up to a flavor-packed bowl of thick and rich chili. My inspiration for this recipe came from the Chicago Tribune’s Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili. They made it on the stove, but I decided to toss everything into a crock pot. Holy mole! So easy, and the heart-healthy dark chocolate made this Mexican dish divine. But I did have to tweak the original recipe to make it crock-pot friendly. For starters, I used lean ground turkey breast rather than fatty dark meat turkey. Then, I cut way back on the chili powder and added all of the spices during the last hour of cooking to maximize flavor. Since liquids don’t evaporate in the crock pot, I cut the liquid ingredients in half. Feel free to cook your chili based on your time frame. As a rule of thumb: one hour on the high setting equals 2 hours on the low setting. Here are two more super easy and healthy crock pot chili recipes you’re going to love: Three Bean Chili and Super Bowl Chili. Serve them with a side of guacamole and wash everything down with a margarita – ole!
Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili
Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 4 – 8 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast.
- 3 cups finely chopped yellow onion (2 large onions)
- 4 garlic cloves, mined
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate (1/2 square)
- Heat olive oil in large 13-inch skillet. Add ground turkey breast and cook over medium-high heat until well browned, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer cooked turkey to slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, pinto beans, crushed tomatoes and beer to an 8-quart slow cooker. Cook chili on low heat for 8 hours; high heat 4 hours.
- During last hour of cooking add: oregano, cinnamon, coriander, chili powder, and unsweetened chocolate; stir until combined and continue cooking.
Nutritional Information per 1 cup serving: 247 calories, 30 grams protein, 24 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 38 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 316 milligrams sodium