Fill your kitchen with the sweet aroma of this super-easy quick bread made with fresh zucchini.
By: Jodie Shield, RDN
Ahhh! Who can resist the sweet aroma of homemade bread? When I’m short on time and need an olfactory fix, I make quick breads – Banana Bread, Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread, and Applesauce Bread. Since farmer’s markets are brimming with zucchini right now, my new favorite is Zucchini Nut Bread. I adapted a Better Homes and Garden recipe by using white whole-wheat flour and cutting back on some of the sugar. Just a few tips about baking quick bread:
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and fold only until moisten. Over mixing will make your bread flat and tough.
- Check the bread 15 minutes before it’s suppose to be done. If it’s browning too fast. . and cover with foil.
- Let the bread cool completely on a wire rack before wrapping in foil or plastic wrap.
- Storing bread overnight at room temperature before slicing will allow the flavors to intensify and makes the bread easier to cut.
- No worries about a crack across the top of the loaf. That’s typical of quick bread.
Zucchini Nut Bread
Prep Time = 15 minutes
Cooking Time = 55 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan with olive oil spray.
- In medium mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl combine sugar, shredded zucchini, oil, egg, and lemon peel; mix well. Add dry ingredients to zucchini mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in pecans.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes or till a wooden tooth pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Nutritional Information per (1 slice) Serving: 191 calories, 3 grams protein, 26 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fat, 1 grams saturated fat, 15 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 118 milligrams sodium