Grab your spoon and celebrate National Chocolate Pudding Day!
By: Jodie Shield, RD
Calling all chocolate lovers. Need a quick fix? Try my chocolate pudding cake – satisfaction guaranteed. It’s rich and creamy yum and super easy to make. You simply toss all the ingredients into the actual baking pan and bypass cleaning up sticky bowls (Go ahead and lick the spatula when you’re done!). Like my chocolate brownies, I had to tweak the original recipe to lighten it up. I used whole-wheat white flour to boost whole grains and I cut back on the sugars (white and brown). Skim milk trims calories and fat and the canola oil is heart-healthy. June 26th is National Pudding Day so go ahead and make my chocolate pudding cake. Better yet, make homemade chocolate pudding. Isn’t it awesome to have a day to celebrate chocolate anything?
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Makes 12 servings
- ¾ cup whole-wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup backed brown sugar
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In an 8 X 8 inch square pan, stir together the flour, white sugar, and ¼ cup of the cocoa powder. Add the skim milk and canola oil and mix well. Sprinkle the brown sugar, remaining cocoa powder and chocolate chips over the mixture. Add the vanilla to the hot water then pour over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the surface appears dry. Serve the pudding cake warm with a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 slice): 165 calories, 2 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams fiber, 77 milligrams sodium