This is Alton Brown’s famous “Good Eats” recipe!
By: Jodie Shield, RD
One thing I forgot to mention about my unforgettable dinner with Alton Brown – he autographed books! I left that evening with his famous signature on all three seasons of Good Eats and I’m Just Here for the Food. Since Alton is from Georgia and August 24 just so happens to be National Peach Pie Day, I decided to make his Individual Peach Upside-Down Cake from his Good Eats: The Middle Years. Y’all got to try it! And be sure to check out my recipe for Mini Peach Cobbler and Pineapple Upside-Down Cup Cakes, too.
Individual Peach Upside-Down Cake
Makes 4 servings:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (Alton calls it Software):
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 medium peaches, peeled
- 1 ounce crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2½ ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
Directions (Alton calls this Procedure):
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide 2 tablespoons of the butter among 4 (6-ounce) ramekins. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside. Evenly divide the brown sugar among the ramekins, sprinkling it into the bottoms of the dishes. Cut each peach into 12 to 14 pieces. Lay the peaches on top of the sugar, evenly dividing them among the dishes, and sprinkle with the ginger. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the batter over the peaches, dividing the mixture evenly among the dishes. Bake on the middle rack of the over for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cake reaches an internal temperature of 190°F.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each dish and turn it upside down onto a serving plate. Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Nutrition Information (per cake): 329 calories, 4 grams protein, 59 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 25 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams dietary fiber, 279 milligrams sodium