Fire up your grill and let these lean burgers sizzle to perfection!
By: Jodie Shield, MED, RDN
Building a healthy hamburger is easy when you have delicious recipes. So far we’ve covered a basic recipe for grilling a lean, juicy beef burger and a Mediterranean burger. Time to shift lean protein and try a turkey burger. If you want white meat, make sure you buy ground turkey breast; ground turkey is higher in fat because it includes dark meat and skin. To enhance flavor, toss in lots of spices or a zesty mango salsa. I like to serve this Southwestern Turkey burger with chipotle ketchup and my homemade guacamole. You can find all of these recipes and many more on my FREE app Eat Healthy Homemade Meals in Minutes which you can download from iTunes or Google Play.
Southwestern Turkey Burger
Preparation Time = 30 minutes
Cooking Time = 12 minutes
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey breast
- 1/3 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 multigrain buns, toasted
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place ground turkey breast, tortilla chips, onion, cheddar cheese (if using), chili powder, cumin, and salt in large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Form ground turkey into patties, about 5-ounces each. Chill in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Place patties on grill and cook for 6 minutes on each side or until they reach internal temperature of 160°F. Serve on toasted bun with your favorite burger fixings.
Nutrition Information per (1 patty and bun) Serving: 321 calories, 38 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrate, 5.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 93 milligrams cholesterol, 4.5 grams fiber, 625 milligrams sodium