Celebrate National Pick Strawberries Day!
By: Jodie Shield, RD
Calling all strawberry lovers: May 20th is National Pick Strawberries Day. I’m so glad strawberries have their own special day because they’re one of the healthiest fruits you can eat. Researchers at the Illinois Institute of Technology are finding that a cup or two of these juicy red berries everyday may help reduce your risk of cancer and boost your brainpower. For all of you lucky enough to live somewhere warm and can actually pick your strawberries, check out my recipe for Strawberry Spinach Salad with Feta sponsored by Kmart Playmate Place. But if you live in the Midwest like me, let’s just say picking strawberries in May is a challenge. So to help us cool-climate strawberry fans celebrate, I am sharing my recipe for Whole-Wheat Strawberry Bread. Let me ask your opinion, does “picking” strawberries up from the super market count?
Makes 10 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat white flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced (frozen and thawed will work too)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup shopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350-degress F. Coat a loaf pan with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat white flour, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon and sugar. Make a well in the center.
- Put the strawberries, eggs, canola oil and nuts (if using) in the well. Mix thoroughly until well combined. Careful not to over mix the batter or your bread will not rise properly.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool about 10 minutes and remove from the pan.
Nutrition Information (without optional ingredients): 230 calories, 3 grams protein, 31 grams carbohydrate, 10.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 31 milligrams cholesterol, 3 grams dietary fiber, 65 milligrams sodium